We have always taught MacKenzie the importance of putting other people first who are in need and to donate and do service work and I really think it has paid off. MacKenzie has such a good heart when it comes to helping others. She will ask to clean out her clothes and toys and drop them off at a shelter for poor kids (her words). Christmas time we always help needy families out and it is such a great feeling. MacKenzie is constantly begging to send care packages to our troops and she always tells me that even just a box of gum or some soap would help them out so much! I love how much she cares and that she reminds me the importance of helping others.
When I heard of this volunteer program that Disneyland is offering I thought this is right up our ally! We love to help and we are seriously obsessed with Disneyland! So I looked into it and it was super cool!
That's right! Jeff and I took Kenzi and volunteered at A New Leaf for a few hours and each of us earned a free ticket to Disneyland! There is nothing better then doing community service and teaching our kids about service work and then to get a free ticket to Disneyland is such an awesome reward! We were most likely going to Disneyland regardless of the volunteer program, but now we can go and have a good feeling that we did something to earn this ticket!
The New Leaf was a humbling experience. We got a tour of these tiny tiny rooms these families live in with one bed and pretty much nothing else. We got to meet these families and help them find clothes for them that we had sorted out that day. They had only ten minutes to go in this tiny room and hopefully find some clothes that fit. One lady came back and said these sweats didn't fit my baby and they told her maybe next time. Sorry! It broke my heart!
That's our experience and now I can't wait to go to the happiest place on earth!
1 comment:
Disney is pure genius! What a great way to get people up and giving service! I need to do this...
Post a Comment