Wednesday, July 29, 2009

GFCF= Gluten Free Casein Free

I have been getting a lot of questions on the GFCF Diet so I thought I would post about it just in case some of you were curious! I took Tyla to her friend from schools birthday party last week and as usual I call the Mom ask her exactly what kind of food they are having so I can prepare Tyla's food as close as possible to what all the other kids will be eating. I had several Mom's ask me about Tyla's diet and they would say they want to do the diet but just think it is too hard and that their kids would starve so they don't do it even though they really want to. All I can say is Mom's- it is much harder on you than it is on your child! If your child is left with no other choice they will eventually give in and EAT! I put Tyla on this diet and everyone noticed changes drastically! It was crazy! There have been a couple incidences where she would get reach of something she shouldn't eat and I knew right away! It is so crazy! So why do I do this dietary intervention? I believe Tyla has been exposed to some sort of of predisposition that has triggered some sort of event- a vaccine, toxin or virus which can cause a "leaky gut". This can cause wheat and dairy to metabolize opiates. If wheat and casein are eliminated I find that the gut can heal. This diet has helped lessen her from stimming and has helped her behavior. It has increased focus and it has helped her gastro-intestinal distress.

This diet has been so hard and stressful as a parent, but it is also so rewarding as a parent to see what a difference it can make. I also get questions on where Tyla gets her nutrition since she doesn't drink milk. The answer is she is on supplements everyday and if you have any questions on that I would love to help.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Im so glad you found those honey nut chex...Saylee was getting tired of just the rice...good call!