Saturday, November 26, 2011

Eye Surgery

A month ago Jeff and I had to take Tyla to get Muscle eye surgery. I have been dreading this operation for months for several different reasons. Tyla hates going to any doctor but especially her eye doctor. She has been through rounds of eye drops that was an absolute nightmare for her! Jeff would have to hold her down every morning before school while I put this stupid drops in and she would be kicking, biting and screaming! I was waiting for CPS to be knocking on my door!She didn't sleep for all those weeks we had to do the drops because she had such anxiety about doing the drops when she wakes up in the morning. She would come in our room all hours of the night and just start crying "no drops please Mommy". It was awful! I felt so bad for her and I tried to explain why we had to do it and she just didn't understand. The reason for the drops was to try to make her good eye blurry so that she could try to use her bad eye and avoid this muscle surgery. After all that the drops did not help and surgery it was!We decided to not tell Tyla about the surgery until the morning of because we knew she wouldn't understand and would not get any sleep for weeks if we told her because of her anxiety. The doctor called the day before to tell us what time we need to come which was 10:00AM, but then they go on to tell us that she can't eat or drink anything after midnight! Are you kidding me?? This is seriously so stupid to make a child do this! I had to take Tyla's water bottle out of her room when she fell asleep since she wakes up and drinks water. I had to tell her when she woke up at 4:20 that morning that she can't have her toast! She lost it and for a couple hours Jeff and I had to re direct her attention on other things and it just was not working! This girl is on a routine and was dying of thirst and wanted her toast! I thought about taking her for a walk or to play at the park, but I knew that would make her more thirsty. Jeff stayed home with the other kids and I put Tyla in my car and I had to go to the post office so we drove all the way to Gilbert's post office and then drove around for another hour. I was so tired and so annoyed that her surgery wasn't at 7AM instead of 10. We go home and get Jeff and off to the hospital!

We explain the entire process to Tyla and how the doctor loves her and is going to make her eye better and when she wakes up we will go get sonic and go home! I won't go into to much detail about the hospital experience that emotionally pushed me over the edge. I will just say she freaked out in the waiting room and all the rude people staring at Tyla have no clue what was going on in Tyla's head. People should really be educated. The Surgery got pushed back to 11:30 Awesome. They finally took her back and Dr. Pachtman was so good comforting her and she was OK leaving with him. Jeff and I patiently waited and they finally brought us back and she was still asleep in recovery and when she woke up and I saw her I couldn't hold my tears back. It was so sad seeing her eye bleeding all over and she was so confused on what just happened. She looked up at me and asked for Jeff and only one of us was supposed to be in there but the nurse was super nice and let Jeff come in. Jeff dropped us off at home and went to the store and came back with sonic slush, sprite, potato chips, starburst and Ocean Blue for Tyla. All of her favorite treats!

We went to Dr. Pachtman's office 4 days later for a check up and he said the eye looks great and the red should clear up by the end of the week. Great! Then he turns to me and says "I would like to try the drops again" Umm...What? He said now that we corrected the muscle he would like her to really still work on using the bad eye. He ordered the drops at my pharmacy.

I have not had the heart to make Tyla do the drops yet.

Please don't judge me.

No comments: