Friday, May 13, 2011

First Swim Lessons

This week Ryker started his first swim lessons ever. When we walked to the backyard he started screaming!I was totally shocked because we have been playing in our pool for months now and he loves the water. I thought once he actually got in he might have started screaming, but he was terrified right away. I tried to sit on the first step with him to comfort him but he was not having it so I just let Miss Shelley have him!

Miss Shelley had him dive, jump off the diving board, go all the way down at the deep end of the pool and swim through the hula hoop. She had him kick his feet while laying on the kick board, he floated on his back and kicked (he was very stiff doing this one, he wouldn't relax). She let go of him by the wall and taught him to turn around and monkey walk. Ryker loves to Monkey Walk, anything where he doesn't have to go under water makes him happy! The last thing they do at the end of class is go to the bottom of the pool in the shallow end and pick up a ring. Ryker likes this one because he knows swim lessons are done and he gets to give Miss Shelley the ring in exchange for a treat!

The end of the week Ryker was still crying through swim lessons, but hopefully he will be better next week! If we can just get him to close his mouth while he is under water and not breath through his nose I think that will help!

No comments: